1888, Solano Survey Map
Solano Avenue, Casanova Street, and the alley between them, were the original streets in what is now that portion of Solano Canyon below the Arroyo Seco Parkway (California State Highway 110, the Pasadena Freeway). Alfredo Solano named both streets; they appear for the first time on the map of his survey dated 24 April 1888, which subdivided the 16-acre tract that his father, Francisco Sales de Jésus Solano, purchased from the City of Los Angeles on 13 September 1866, and known as Solano Tract (Solano Tract No. 1 after Solano Tract No. 2 was deveioped in 1903) [Book of Deeds 8, 207].
Both Solano Avenue and Casanova Street, in the beginning, ran from Buena Vista Street—which is now North Broadway—northwest to the edge of the tract. Figueroa Street, which did not extend as far as Solano Canyon until 1940, would eventually cross just northwest of the top of the original property (at the right of the map, above, which has been rotated 90º to the right in order to show the street names clearly). Notice that, for the most part, Solano Tract was surrounded on three sides by Elysian Park.
Solano Avenue was originally 60 feet wide; Casanova Street was originally 30 feet wide; and the alley between the two streets was originally 12 feet wide. (information from (http://solanocanyon.net/streets_solano_avenue.aspx)